This virtual course, Lead Upward: Six Strategies for Influencing People of Power, launches on April 19 at 9 am Central.
You’ll have access to the course for a full year.
We developed Lead Upward because we hear questions from the leaders and professionals we work with all the time – questions like:
- How can I manage my boss?
- How can I be better at giving my boss feedback?
- My boss won’t develop me – how can I have that conversation?
- I don’t know what my boss’s vision is for me or the team.
In all of these cases, the real question we hear is:
“How can I LEAD UPWARD?”
This course provides a proven strategy to help you confidently make requests, give feedback and have conversations with people of influence without the fear of making the other person defensive, retaliatory or emotional.
You will learn:
- How to overcome the challenges and emotions that arise when leading upward
- A six-step strategy that helps you communicate more effectively and confidently prepare for a Lead Upward conversation
- A five-step conversation process that helps ensure agreement while decreasing defensiveness and resistance to your request or feedback.
- A set of communication skills that will help you be perceived as a more likeable, effective communicator and position you for advancement in your career
Module 1: The Challenge and Benefits to Leading Upward
- What Does it Mean to Lead Upward?
- Benefits of Leading Upward
- Understanding Power
- Three Emotional Factors in Leading Upward
Module 2: Six Strategies for Influencing People of Power
- 6 Strategies for Influencing People of Power
- How to Plan the Lead Upward Conversation
Module 3: How to Have a "Lead Upward" Conversation
- The 5-Step Lead Upward Conversation Process
- Review and Next Steps
- Final Lesson and Next Steps
The online course launches at 9 am and can be viewed in one sitting in about one hour or spread out over time for your convenience.
Lead Upward is broken down into three main modules, each containing five to seven video lessons.
This course also includes a printable digital workbook which includes a step-by-step guide to help you plan and execute a Lead Upward conversation with your boss or another person of power or influence.